What is Bridge the Gap?
Temporary Contact program is an option for those in alcoholism treatment facility, correctional facility, or other type of institution who wish to attend Alcoholics Anonymous or another recovery meeting after their discharge.Bridging the Gap Program
To bridge the gap from facilities and institutions to the meetings and fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.
First, to provide the client with a temporary contact from recovery in AA.
Second, to inform the client of our “Singleness of Purpose”, and what AA does and does not do.
The Bridging the Gap Temporary Contact Program is designed to help alcoholics in hospitals and institutions to make the transition from these places back into the community.
As most of us know, the most “slippery slope” along the road to recovery from alcoholism is between the front doors of the facility and those of that first AA meeting! Many of us can share that, although we were fully aware of AA when we were in these same shoes, we were afraid to walk through the door for the first time. In order to “bridge” this gap, AA members from all over have volunteered to be temporary contacts for alcoholics in these institutions, for a short while until the client becomes comfortable and more confident in the fellowship of AA.
Bridge the Gap Does NOT
• Provide long-term sponsorship.
• Provide a long-term taxi service.
The Volunteer Temporary Contact May:
1. When possible, contact the newcomer by phone before leaving the facility.
2. Take newcomer to a variety of AA meetings after leaving the facility.
3. Provide the newcomer with information about AA.
4. Introduce the newcomer to AA books, pamphlets, and schedule of meetings in their local area.
5. Explain the different meeting formats (discussion, speaker, big book study, step study) and cover the difference between open and closed AA meetings.
6. Help introduce the newcomer to members in the fellowship of AA.
7. Explain sponsorship to the newcomer and the importance of obtaining a sponsor.PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE OR SUBMIT INFORMATION BELOW IF YOU NEED ANY FURTHER INFORMATION OR IF YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP WITH THIS PROGRAM:
Veronica K. 712-266-6816
AA CENTRAL OFFICE 712-252-1333
CLICK HERE TO PRINT A FLYER
FOR BRIDGE THE GAP LOCAL
INFORMATION FOR TREATMENT